Wives work hard at making their marriages work. It’s an ongoing process that requires ever-increasing understanding. So here’s a simple strategy to help you learn something new about your husband every day.
How to Evaluate Marriage Advice
Choose your counselor wisely. Because not all marriage advice is equal.
- Some is based on marital research.
- Other info maybe inspirational, but not all that helpful.
- And some advice can actually be destructive.
How to Find the Right Couples Counselor
Did you know that most counselors have insufficient training for working with couples? It’s a very different process than individual counseling.
- Beware the counselor who chooses sides. You will just keep repeating the same pattern you’ve already got going, now with a cheerleader for the already dominant side. Nothing will change.
- Beware the counselor who sits passively by while you and your spouse argue. How can that help? You already know how to fight without paying to use her office space.
Make sure the person you choose to help you, can actually help you. Here’s what she (or he) needs to help you with … in your very first session!