God talked to Adam. He gave him specific instructions. About what to do. And what NOT to do. But he didn’t listen. Or obey.
The Lord gave instructions for what to do …
“Be fruitful and increase in number;
fill the earth and subdue it.
Rule over the fish in the sea
and the birds in the sky
and over every living creature
that moves on the ground.” (Genesis 1:28)
… and for what NOT to do …
“You are free to eat from any tree in the garden;
but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil,
for when you eat from it you will certainly die.” (Genesis 2:16-17)
But Adam stood by
while Eve had a conversation with a snake.
When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food
and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom,
she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband,
who was with her, and he ate it. (Genesis 3:6)
Adam’s Failure to Follow Instructions
- He did not take his God-given authority (to rule) over the creature (the snake).
- Instead of protecting his wife, he stood by and watched.
- Then he followed his wife’s lead.
- In what ways have you observed this story of deception and disobedience playing out in marriages today?
- If you could rewrite Adam and Eve’s story with a happy ending …
- what would Eve do differently?
- what would Adam do differently?